Hurricane Sandy Preparations - October 26-27, 2012

  Saturday, October 27, 2012 / Stephanie / Uncategorized  

We interrupt the previously scheduled blog for this important update. Rode Trip entered the Piankatank River yesterday (Friday 10/26) and tucked into Wilton Creek, our hurricane hole for the next four days. Prior to leaving Jackson Creek we filled our fuel and took showers at the marina. Might as well be clean while we hunker down! We had a smooth trip here, just motored for approximately 1-hour along with our friends, Serendipity.

Slowly, we motored far into Wilton Creek. Fortunately it was not crowded and we had our choice of anchor spots. Here are our surroundings in the position we are currently pointing: Starboard Side

Port Side



We checked the weather and called family. We consulted with Serendipity about anchoring strategies. More weather updates. We emptied the aft hatch and relocated several items into new homes in order to stow our jerry cans permanently in the aft hatch. I found lots of extra spaces inside to move spare wood, dinghy security cable, oil, and rope. Today (Saturday 10/27), Brian and I prepared for Sandy. We cleared the deck of anything that might blow away. Both kayaks are down on the walkways and secured. I continued to find storage space inside for the trolling motor and sails and relocated our paper towels and toilet paper from the bunk to underneath the v-berth. We pulled out hard to reach safety items; flares, seacock plugs, cable cutters, life jackets, and harnesses. We took down and stowed the genoa, stay sail, and main sail. We thought this a great opportunity to rig our storm main, just in case we need steerage should something happen to the engine. We took down the stay sail boom and stowed it on deck secured under a kayak.

We decided to stick with one anchor the Bruce. Brian let out more chain and we backed down on it at 3,000 rpm's to make certain we were set. Brian rigged a spare anchor on our extra rope rode the Danforth. Poor Rode Trip was looking very naked. But we are ready!

Thanks Serendipity for their great internet signal for helping us to provide this update. We're going to stretch our legs ashore before the wind and rain come. Then we're looking forward to dinner with Serendipity...and we're keeping the real necessities handy!


  1. From stephanie on Nov 01, 2012
    I hope you built a fort! That's my favorite thing to do in the snow.

  2. From stephanie on Nov 01, 2012
    We rearranged several compartments in Rode Trip and were able to store everything inside during the storm without interfering with our living space. Now, all we'll have on deck is the dinghy and bumpers. Love the storage space in the Westsail!

  3. From Clara on Oct 29, 2012
    It SNOWED here

  4. From Sheila Becker on Oct 28, 2012
    It sure was interesting reading about all your preparations! We've been thinking of you two a lot and we're keeping you in our prayers. We'll look forward to updates when Sandy has blown north and away from you!

  5. From Ann Landau on Oct 28, 2012
    Thanks for the preparations update...stay safe....our thoughts are with you....Rich and Ann Landau....

  6. From Margot on Oct 28, 2012
    Sounds like you have cleaned up the boat. Can you move at all down below? Good luck with everything. Margot and Bob. (Medical class)

  7. From Aunt Mari on Oct 28, 2012
    Just hoping the storm missing you, I know you must have a back-up plan....right ? Is there a chance because you are close to shore that you can get of the boat if need be ? We have all the faith in the world that you 2 can handle it but , just do whatever it takes to be safe. I'm sure you will anyway. Love and Kisses, Aunt Mari & Uncle Bob

  8. From dennis on Oct 28, 2012
    Have a safe hunker. You look well prepared!

  9. From Donna Hamill on Oct 28, 2012
    Keeping you close in thought & prayer....

  10. From Sue McGown on Oct 28, 2012
    We are thinking of you both and also of Rode Trip. Lets hope Sandy turns away. Good luck!

  11. From stephanie on Oct 28, 2012
    Hoping we are as ready as possible, hoping Sandy continues to veer north but we're very sheltered if not. Thanks for the invite, we'd rather you join us in the Bahamas but will keep a flight to NH in mind!

  12. From stephanie on Oct 28, 2012
    Thanks, BMac! We're riding it out with Serendipity and are as ready as we can be...enjoying dinner and hurricanes tonight...storm at it's worst on Mon-Tues here.

  13. From Janet on Oct 27, 2012
    Hope you ride out the storm safely. You are certainly on my mind and prayers for safety. I enjoy following your adventures. Hope you will be able to have some statistics when the storm is gone, like how much the river rose and how far you might move from your orignial anchor.

  14. From Kathy on Oct 27, 2012
    I too was wondering about the solar panel? I love you both! mom

  15. From Bmac on Oct 27, 2012
    Good luck!

  16. From Newington, NH on Oct 27, 2012
    You both are on our minds... Hope to Sandy jets by without too much nastiness coming your way.. did you need to do anything to secure the Solar panel? We have an extra room that's nice and toasty at Nimble Hill with your name on it :) Keep us updated and be safe!