Crinan to Glasgow

  Sunday, October 16, 2016 / Mark S / Sailing  

After departing the Crinan Canal, we had a relatively short distance to travel to the heart of Glasgow. But timing was very important; we would be traveling many miles up the River Clyde into Glasgow and the tide affects the flow for the entire distance. No reason to motor against the tide if not necessary. Crinan to Wreck Bay: this day's route on the map. [caption id="attachment_3578" align="alignnone" width="700"] Scenery along Loch Fyne[/caption] That afternoon we motored south down Loch Fyne, then turned north and were able to sail some distance before finally anchoring at a very quiet spot at the north end of the Isle of Bute. Another boat or two were here as well and it's part of a river trail through Scotland, with a spot on the shore available for camping. [caption id="attachment_3579" align="alignnone" width="700"] Detour is the boat on the far left.[/caption] We took the dinghy to the shore for a walk along the island before dinner. Many, many flat rocks were on the beach, and of course, they needed to be skipped into the water. Many were skipped, but plenty rocks remain, if you would like to visit! [caption id="attachment_3580" align="alignnone" width="700"] great skipping rocks[/caption] After returning to the boat, Brian had noticed a cormorant fishing nearby and guessed it was  probably after mackerel. He got out a hand held fishing line and in almost no time at all, had two or three mackerel hooked. Only one was of sufficient size so the others were released and we kept fishing, eventually getting one more. After gutting, filleting, and marinating the mackerel for 30-minutes in rice wine vinegar and sugar, we finally enjoyed fresh, delicious mackerel ceviche. Quite a treat! [caption id="attachment_3581" align="alignnone" width="700"] Mackerel ceviche[/caption] The next morning it was foggy, with no wind. We left around 9:10 a.m. with Gannets diving for fish all around. This timing would get us to the Firth of Clyde at the right time for the ebbing tide. Wreck Bay to Glasgow: this day's route on the map. As we motored north, there was more and more traffic on the water and we were clearly getting into a more populated area. This church tower in the town of Greenock was one of the interesting views: [caption id="attachment_3582" align="alignnone" width="700"] Church tower in Greenock[/caption] In the town of Port Glasgow, we were looking for the dock where we could purchase diesel fuel; we've been doing a lot of motoring on this trip. We located the dock and refueled, also taking the opportunity to top off the fresh water tanks. [caption id="attachment_3583" align="alignnone" width="700"] Port of Glasgow[/caption] The Port of Glasgow had many dry docks as much shipbuilding had occurred here beginning in 1762. Not much shipbuilding occurs any longer and the entire area is transitioning to residences and services for visiting yachts like ourselves. After refueling, we returned to the well-marked channel in the middle of the river and continued upstream. A lot of the view is fairly industrial, but there were plenty of birds to see and also the occasional castle, such as the very prominent Dumbarton Castle. [caption id="attachment_3584" align="alignnone" width="700"] Dumbarton Castle[/caption] We finally approached the Riverside Museum area where Detour would dock for the next several days. The nearest grocery store was about a mile away and we trekked there to stock up, picking up a nearby geocache on the way as well. The next day we visited the tall ship Glenlee, now a museum ship, and right next to us at the museum.  Then we proceeded into town for what would turn out to be an all-day, 8 mile walk across much of central Glasgow. The highlight of the day was the Glasgow Cathedral, an ancient and very impressive large building with lots of history. [caption id="attachment_3586" align="alignnone" width="700"] Bruce & Mark at the Cathedral[/caption] [caption id="attachment_3587" align="alignnone" width="700"] Our meandering route across Glasgow[/caption] This was our final full day aboard Detour. Before sunrise the next morning, Bruce caught an Uber ride to the nearby Glasgow airport for his trip back to San Francisco. A few hours later, Brian and I took another Uber to the airport and enjoyed one last pint before my departure to Iceland and another adventure. Brian waited for Stephanie's return to Scotland and Detour, more or less simultaneous with my departure. What a memorable trip!