1st Quarter of 2013 by the Numbers

We’ve been on the boat for just over 9 months now so without further ado, here are the numbers for January – March 2013.

How we got here
Miles travelled – 1012 nm
Hours spent motoring – 76.2
Total days underway – 30
Average Distance travelled per day – 11 nm
Average Distance travelled per underway day- 34 nm
Average hours of engine time per day – 0.8 hours
Approximate miles of motoring – 380 nm
Approximate miles of Sailing – 632 nm
Longest passage – 77 hours / 277.6 nm
Shortest Passage – 120 minutes/ 8.7 nm
Nights at a dock – 2
Nights on a mooring – 15
Nights at anchor – 73

What it cost

Total amount spent – $2,964
Total amount budgeted – $6000
$ per Day – $33
$ spent on Groceries -$1,432
$ spent on boat upgrades/maintenance – $109
$ on “utilities” propane, cellphone, Ice, etc – $175
$ on Diesel – $413
$ for entertainment (not restaurants)- $69
$ spent eating out – $428
$ spent on moorings/dockage – $234

I finally have gotten to start using my new pole spear to help supplement dinner, and have been having a great time. Most, but not all of the fish caught were speared.
Number of fish caught
Spiny Lobster – 5
Porgies – 4
Conch – 3
Snapper – 12
Grunts – 4
Grouper – 2
Lionfish – 6

Bycatch – creatures that for whatever reason were captured and then released
Remoras – 2
Conch – 4
Yellowtail Jack – 1

Total money spent on fishing equip ( from entertainment category) – $10
Estimate of money saved on fish meals – $ 360

Miscellaneous happenings
10 – Number of new visitors to the boat
2 – Countries Visited (USA, Bahamas)

We hope you enjoyed this random selection of Rode Trip facts and figures.

Return of the Squid

I had my fingers crossed my new technique of using live bait might be a little more effective at catching fish. I wasn’t getting any bites though. After waiting I began to get a few very gentle nibbles on my seaworm, but couldn’t get the hook to set. After being frustrated with this for a little while I pulled my bait up to see if it was still there, and a squid followed my seaworm out of the depths!

Unfortunately my squid jig was snagged on lobster pot recently, and consigned to the deep. I put 2 treble hooks on and a little pink lure because pink is a squid’s favorite color. Very soon after this I began really getting bites on my lure. It took a little bit of practice but eventually I managed to a hook a squid! I reeled him in until he broke the surface of the water and then he proceed to shoot a stream of ink straight up in the air over my head into the cockpit! What a mess.


Soon I had another one, and I made sure this one let his ink go in the water before pulling him out of the water.




As I was getting ready to turn this squid into calamari, I flipped him over on the cutting board and he changed colors! He went from a translucent white color to a red color. It happened very quickly and was quite a surprise.


I eventually managed to catch one more squid, and we tried out the tempura batter recipe from our Ratios cookbook. They were very delicious.